WICKANDER & ASSOCIATES, INC.
About WICKANDER & ASSOCIATES, INC.
Joseph Martinez Casarez
Born: April 28, 1980
University of Houston, BS Mechanical Engineering Technology, 2008
Wickander & Associates, Inc. Conroe, Texas
2020 – Present
Wickander & Associates, Inc. is a consulting company specializing in the mechanical and metallurgical aspects of: oilfield, mining, construction and water well drill pipe/tool joint design, manufacturing and use. We also provide Connection Design and Reverse Engineering, Plant Design, Plant Layout, Material Handling Equipment Design, Technology Transfer, Quality Consulting, Quality Monitoring and Expert Witness services as well as specialty inspection tool design and manufacturing. WAI is also a partner in the premier drill pipe and drill collar manufacturing company in China, Jiangsu Shuguang Huayang Drilling Tool Co., Ltd. (JSH)
Wickander & Associates, Inc. Conroe, Texas
2016 - 2020
Wildcat Development, LLC. Spring Texas
2016 - 2017
Wildcat Development was an electro-mechanical job shop that implemented proprietary software & firmware solutions for the oil & gas and technology industries.
Axon Energy Products, Tubular Products Division. Houston, Texas
2011 - 2015
Axon Tubular Products was a green-field division created to develop drilling solutions for the oil & gas drilling and mining industries. ATP also designed and tested premium connections for drill pipe and casing.
HDD Rotary Sales, LLC. Conroe, Texas
2009 - 2011
HDD was a designer and manufacturer of drill pipe for the oil & gas and drill rods for the horizontal directional drilling (HDD) industries.
Superior Drillpipe Manufacturing Co. Houston, Texas
2008 - 2009
Superior Drillpipe Manufacturing Co. is a drill pipe manufacturing plant that encompasses all processes, inspection and material testing for Range 1 & 2 drill pipe up to 7-5/8.” Superior Drillpipe was purchased by Texas Steel Conversions in 2018.
Nels Peter Wickander
Born: June 3, 1945 in Wheaton Minnesota
Raised on a farm in Rosholt, South Dakota
University of Minnesota Metallurgical Engineering 3 Years
U. S. Army 1966-1967, Combat Engineer, Vietnam Veteran
Sustaining Member of ASM International, Founding Member of ASM Heat Treating Society.
Voting Member of API Subcommittee 5, Task Group for Drillstem Elements and numerous work groups since 1979.
Inventor, Patent Holder
Wickander & Associates, Inc.
1993 - Present
Wickander & Associates, Inc. (WAI) is a consulting company specializing in the mechanical and metallurgical aspects of; oilfield, mining, construction and water well drill pipe/tool joint design, manufacturing and use.
WAI provides Failure Analysis services on tubulars, tools and connections, Connection Evaluation and Design, Testing and Reverse Engineering, Plant Design, Plant Layout, Material Handling Equipment Design, Technology Transfer, Quality Consulting, Quality Monitoring and Expert Witness services as well as specialty inspection tool design and manufacturing, such as the Tool Joint Alignment Gauge (TJAG) and the MIU measurement tool.
WAI has designed the equipment and plant layout and organized construction of five drill pipe plants, four of which were ultimately purchased by one of the major global drill pipe manufacturers.
WAI has customers involved in the Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD) industry. These customers provide infrastructure improvements on a domestic and a global basis, such as pipelines, water and utility installations.
WAI is a partner in the premier drill pipe and drill collar manufacturing company in China, Jiangsu Shuguang Huayang Drilling Tool Co., Ltd. (JSH).
Frac String Solutions, LLC
2020 - Present
Director of Engineering, Member and Consultant
Frac String Solutions is a company dedicated to the design, testing and marketing of a family of proprietary connections well suited for use on hybrid workstrings for completions and workovers.
PTECH Drilling Tubulars, LLC
2012 - Present
Director of Engineering, Consultant
PTECH Drilling Tubulars is a company dedicated to the design, testing and marketing of a family of proprietary high torque connections well suited for use in todays ever evolving drilling technologies.
1998 - 2010
Grant Prideco is the largest manufacturer of drill pipe in the world. WAI worked on specific projects to enhance manufacturing productivity and capabilities and acted as General Manager of a joint venture (TGP) during start up to produce upset to grade drill pipe tubes in China.
Jiangsu Shuguang Grant Prideco Tubular Co.
1997 - 2001
Jiangsu Shuguang Grant Prideco Tubular Co. (JSG) was a company manufacturing drill pipe in China. Changed to Jiangsu Grant Prideco (GPJ) in 2001.
Yangzhou WJS Huayou Drilling Equipment, Ltd.
1994 - 1997
General Manager, Shareholder, Technical Consultant
Yangzhou WJS Huayou Drilling Equipment, Ltd. (YSH) was the first start up company to use American technology and quality systems to manufacture drill pipe in China.
Flame Metallurgical, Inc.
1988 - 1993
Flame Metallurgical, Inc. was a commercial heat treating facility located in Houston, Texas specializing in batch heat treatment of specialty materials with mechanical testing services.
Omsco Industries, Inc.
1984 - 1988
Tubular Products Division Manager
Omsco Industries, Inc. was a manufacturer of Tool Joints, Drill Collars, Kellys, Kelly Valves, Inside BOP valves, sold Heat Treating services and was a licensed Drill Pipe Processor. In 1984 they purchased the Flame Industries, Inc. tool joint manufacturing and welding facility in Houston.
Flame Industries, Inc.
1965 - 1984
Quality Control Supervisor, Quality Assurance Manager, Manager of Engineering and Quality Assurance, Plant Manager
Flame Industries, Inc. was a Heat Treating Company in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Inertia Welding job shop services were added in 1967. In 1977 a Tool Joint welding and manufacturing facility was established in Houston, Texas to supplement tool joint, drill pipe, and drill rod manufacturing located in Chaska, Minnesota.
Born: August 26, 1950
- Gagemaker LP 1982 to Present
- HBTdesins LLC 2015 to Present
- Sandvik Coromant 1973 to 1982
- API Citation for Service, Development of Technical Report 7 CR, 1st Edition
- API Resolution of Appreciation for development of Specification 5B 16th Edition
- API Resolution of Appreciation for development of Specification 5B 16th edition, Errata 1 & 2, Addenda 1
- API Recognition of Service 30 Years
- API SC5 Active member 35 years
- API SC5, TGTGC Specification 5B Work Groups
- API SC5, TGDSE Specification 7-1 Work Groups
- API SC5, TGDSE Specification 7-2 Work Groups
- API SC5, TGDSE Specification RP-7G-2 Work Groups
- API SC5, TGDSE Specification 5DP Work Groups
- US 2017/0038190 A1 Thread Inspection Systems and Methods - Feb. 9, 2017
- 9,752,427 STATOR BORE GAGE - Sep . 5 , 2017
- 5,182,862 INDICATING THREAD GAGE - Feb. 2, 1993
- 4,700,484 DIAMETER MEASURING DEVICE – Oct. 20, 1987
- 4,524,524 GAGE FOR MEASURING DIAMETERS - June. 25, 1985
- API TECHNICAL REPORT 7CR FIRST EDITION, Published Nov. 2019
- Prevent Rotary Shouldered Connection Failures; Jim Douglas; AADE-2011-National Technical Conference -HO-31
Jackie E. Smith P.E.
Specialized Professional Competence
- Staff Consultant, Stress Engineering Service Inc., 2004 – 2017
- Sr. Research and Design Engineer, Weatherford Int’l, Houston, TX, 2001 – 2004 Manager
- Research and Development, Grant Prideco, Houston, TX, 1997 – 2001
- Staff Engineer, Grant Prideco, Houston, TX, 1991 – 1997
- Development Engineer, Baker Hughes Tubular Systems, Houston, TX 1986 – 1991
- Development Engineer, Hughes Tool Co., Houston, TX, 1976 – 1986
- Engineer, Big Inch Marine Systems, Houston, TX, 1976
- Engineer, Baylor Co., Houston TX, 1976
- Engineer, Hughes Tool Co., Houston, TX 1969 - 1976
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of New Mexico 1969
- Rock Mechanics 3 hr. course University of Houston 1970
- Design of Steel Structures 3 hr. course University of Houston 1971
- Control Systems 3 hr. course University of Houston 1978
- Short Course Carbon Fiber Composites MIT 1998
- Short Course Fracture Mechanics MIT 2000
- Heat Treatment of Steel ASM Home study 1977
- Failure Analysis ASM Home study 1994
- Corrosion ASM Home study 1977
- API Executive Committee on Standardization of Oil Field Equipment and Material award for distinguished and meritorious service presented, 1998, 2009 SPE Outstanding Technical Editor
- Award – Two times 2005 and 2006
- ASME Claude L. Wilson Award 2007
- API Committee 3, Subcommittee 7, Chairman 5 years
- API Committee 3, Subcommittee 7, Secretary 15 years
- API Executive Standards Committee
- SPE Member program committee SPE Annual Technical Conference 2 years
- SPE Member program committee SPE Drilling Technology Conference 6 years
- SPE Editorial Review Committee (Technical editor)
Engineering Designs and Analysis
- 4,506,432 Method of Connecting Joints of Drill Pipe
- 5,355,968 Tool Joint Stress Relief Groove
- 5,433,130 Shoulder Dressing Apparatus
- 5,492,375 Drill Pipe with Improved Connectors
- 5,908,212 Ultra-High Torque Double Shoulder Tool Joint
- 6,244,631 High Efficiency Drill Pipe
- 6,305,723 Tool Joint and Drill Pipe Made Therefrom
- 6,447,025 Oilfield Tubular Connection
Mr. Smith has designed and developed drill strings using double shoulder tool joints. He designed the first 5-1/2” drill string that could be used in drilling 8-1/2” holes. He has designed a number of other specialized drill pipe assemblies such as titanium drill pipe for short radius
drilling, short radius expendable drill pipe, large diameter (5-7/8”) titanium drill pipe and drill pipe for under-balance drilling. He has designed drill pipe that conveys electric power and telemetry. He has designed tools to resurface tool joint sealing surfaces in pipe yards.
He has designed truck mounted auger drilling machines for the construction and utility industries. Designed truck mounted auger drilling machine for Trans Alaska Pipeline for operation in -40 deg F weather. Included design for metallurgy and heating of fluids such as hydraulic oil, gear oil and engine oil.
He has designed big hole drilling tools and hole cleaning systems for the mining and construction industries. Designed power train for mine raise drill.
He has designed and conducted many full-scale tests on drilling tools and other downhole tools relating to internal and external pressure, mechanical loads, and fatigue. Tests included designing special fixturing, instrumentation, monitoring systems and analysis of failures.
High Torque Drill Pipe Connector; Jackie E. Smith; 1984 Transactions IADC Drilling
CADE/CAODC 95-904 Double Shoulder Tool Joint for Slim Hole Drilling; J. E. Smith, Stan
IADC/SPE 19961 Options to Increase Drill String Reliability and Decrease Tool Joint Break-in
Cost; J. E. Smith and F. J. Carlin
IADC/SPE 19963 Design and Development of High-Strength, Sour Service Drillpipe; J.
E. Smith, R. M. Shivers III, J. B. Greer
IADC/SPE 23844 Testing Thread Compounds for Rotary Shouldered Connections; J. E. Smith
and E. I. Bailey
IADC/SPE 35035 Box OD Stability of Double Shoulder Tool Joints at Catastrophic Failure; J. E.
Smith and Mac Thomas
IADC/SPE 37648 Replacing 5 Inch and 3-1/2 Inch Drill Pipe with a Single String of 4 Inch Drill
Pipe; Jack Smith and Sachin Mehra
IADC/SPE 39362 Rejuvenating Engineering Students Interest in the Oil Business; Jack Smith
IADC/SPE 59140 Development of Titanium Drill Pipe for Short Radius Drilling; Jackie E. Smith,
Ronald W. Schutz, Edmond I. Bailey
IADC/SPE 67722 Titanium Drill Pipe for Ultra-Deep and Deep Directional Drilling; Jackie
E. Smith, R. Brett Chandler, Patrick L. Boster
IADC/SPE 79874 The Goodman Diagram as an Analytical Tool to Optimize Fatigue Life of
Rotary Shouldered Connections; J. E. Smith, E. I Bailey
IADC/SPE 79886 Smart Drilling with Electric Drillstring; Jackie E. Smith, Paul Lurie, Phil Head
SPE 23990 Drill Pipe for Horizontal Drilling; J. E. Smith
SPE 49202 Development of Gas Tight Seal for Tool Joint; J. E. Smith, E. I. Bailey, and Jim
SPE 50102 Fast Connector for Drill-Pipes; J. E. Smith, G.P. Kamp, T.W. Bakker, T.F. Young,
Titanium Pipe Proving Ideal for Short-Radius Drilling; Jack Smith, Michael Jellison,
Gerald Wilson, John Hunter, Patrick Boster and Jerry Rubli, The American Oil and Gas Reporter,
Calculation Limits for Torsion and Tensile Loads on Drill Pipe; Jackie E. Smith and Edmond I.
Bailey; Petroleum Engineer International, February 1998
Development of Titanium Drill Pipe for Short Radius Drilling; Jackie E. Smith, R. W. Schutz, E.
I. Bailey; Journal of Petroleum Technology May 2000.
Author of chapter on Advanced Drill String Design in SPE text book Advanced Drilling and Well